The Valley Forge Guild met on January 13, 2018 at the Landis Homes Retirement Community in Lititz, PA. I think you can see from the photos, above and below, that it is an airy and light-filled space with comfortable carpeting and plenty of room. We tried out this new site for us, which has already been home to the Lancaster Area braiders, due to some frustrations with our usual location in Harleysville.
Unfortunately, the weather kept several people from coming to the meeting, so I’m not sure we has a representative group to poll as to whether this new site is too far to drive or not. I’m thinking that we may still have to set up maybe two meetings a year — one in the spring, one in the fall — at Harleysville. But we’ll see what everyone thinks.
We had 3 newcomers to the guild — welcome Sharon, Kristen, and Paulette!
We covered several items on the agenda:
- Spring Braid In. We are starting to get registrations — about 12 so far — for the braid in. Debbie Wykosky is handling the paper registrations and mailed checks, and placing them in Google Docs. (I’m sure this is a lot of work! Thank you, Debbie!)
- Demonstrators for the Basic Skills section at the braid in, on Friday afternoon. We had volunteers for: Shoe-Lacing vs E-lacing — Deb Weinhold; Tapering — Eileen Colligan; Patterns in Braids — Dottie Pepe; Patterns across the Center Line — Christine Manges. Thanks everyone!
- Gathering of Guilds on February 24, 2018 at Swatara Church of God, 4860 Lindle Rd, Harrisburg, PA 17111, from 9 am to 3 pm. Carolyn Newcomer and Christine Manges will teach classes but we LOVE others to come help out! Besides braiding, there will be classes on: wool felt pincushion, split straw stars, finger knitting, needlefelting, rug hooking flowers or hearts, quilting half-square triangles, and crocheting hairpin lace. (Get there early because classes fill up!!) Bring some of your braided rugs to display in the classroom. https://www.fibreworksresource.com/a-fibreworks-gathering
- Museum Trip: The National Museum of the American Coverlet, in Bedford Springs, PA. It’s not braiding, but the woven coverlets are incredibly beautiful. It’s about 2.25 hours drive from Lancaster, and 2 hours from Pittsburgh. We’ll plan on a group tour, then lunch, then wandering as desired, on Saturday, June 9, 2018. $10 admission. http://www.coverletmuseum.org
- Blue Willow Challenge: A reminder that the rug challenge for the braid in this year is to create a rug that in some way refers to the china pattern, Blue Willow. (Everyone can make a blue and white rug!!!) Mostly braided; other fiber arts welcome.
- Website Update: I’m missing a few rugs from the Schwenkfelder Museum Exhibit that we had back in 2014. Please check the page and see if you have any additional photographs, and send them to me!
- Chair Pad Pageant: Kris McDermet and Christine Manges are the curators for the special exhibit of “Contemporary Braided Art Rugs,” Sauder Village, Ohio, August 15-18, 2018. As part of that exhibit, we want to have a wall of chair pads for display — for sale for $60 plus shipping, or not for sale as you choose. The chair pads can be braided-only, or can include hooking/felting/crochet/applique etc. Size: 13-16″. More info about shipping and registration later.
- Next Meeting: February 17, 2018 in Landis Homes in Lititz, PA. Other meetings: March 24, May 19, Sept 15, Oct 27, Dec 1.